Formerly known as ‘Holly Loves Hair’, Holly Watterson Hair Artistry is locally owned and run by talented freelance hairstylist Holly, who specialises in bridal and special occasion hair. Her journey in the wedding industry began over a decade ago after completing her hairdressing qualification and working at a number of high-end salons in Perth. Over the 10 years that she lived and worked in the big city, Holly amassed a number of impressive achievements in her field and was fortunate enough to spend a large portion of that time working as a colourist at Maurice Meade.
It was whilst working at this salon that Holly started to build her skills in upstyling and discovered that this was an area she was truly passionate about. After dedicating her time and energy to learning to her craft, Holly was given opportunities to create styles for TV celebrities, news readers and models. She styled hair for Telethon, one of Western Australia’s largest television events and worked on several runway fashion shows.
Although Holly loved being a part of these fabulous events, she increasingly found herself enjoying the bridal parties that came into the salon and realised that this was the path she wished to pursue. In her eyes, nothing could beat the excitement and build-up of the wedding day and being able to share this with those involved.
After moving back home to Albany, Holly worked in a number of local salons before giving birth to her first child, Ayla. It was after her daughter was born that she realised owning her own business and specialising in bridal hair would be a dream come true.
“There’s something really special about being involved in getting a bride ready for her big day!”
Fast-forward to 2017 and Holly Watterson Hair Artistry was born! Today, Holly works on countless weddings in the Great Southern and is continually recommended as one of the best bridal hairstylists in the region. She describes her style as relaxed and romantic, yet still fashionable and glamorous!
Her time spent in the City and varied professional experiences mean she is incredibly talented at a range of styles and can work both quickly and efficiently. Most importantly however, Holly is a bright and bubbly person to be around and effortlessly makes brides feel at ease. She is grateful to have started a business doing something she is passionate about. Holly truly loves what she does and it is this love that shows through in her work.
“I always feel honoured to be part of a bride’s special day and strive to make her feel the most beautiful she’s ever felt!”
When she isn’t styling hair, Holly loves exploring her hometown with her beautiful daughter and husband. Love is her biggest inspiration and she is so grateful to her family for providing this every day. Being part of a bride’s preparation before marrying the man of her dreams inspires her. So does art and fashion. Being a role model, the amazing local talent in our industry, and the beautiful things that surround her every day, continue to keep Holly’s passion alive.
“I’m inspired every day by so many things. I just want to follow my dreams and always be true to myself and to others.”
We were lucky enough to speak with Holly about her experience in the wedding industry and get a behind-the-scenes look at what’s involved in creating the perfect bridal hairstyle. Here, Holly shares her top-5 products for styling that effortless, special event ‘do:
- L’Oreal – Wild Stylers Next Day Hair This micro-powered texturizing and fixing powder is perfect for creating a fun tousled and dishevelled hairstyling effect. This product is suitable for all hair types and provides an instant texture-boost and matte effect without making the hair look dirty or rough. Wild Stylers Next Day Hair can be used on freshly shampooed hair for a texture boost, or a few days later to absorb oil and lift the hair. We recommend it for brides getting married on the beach who want effortless coastal waves!
- Any GHD Hairstyling Tool There is a reason GHD is consistently rated one of the best brands on the market for heated hairstyling tools and they certainly live up to their name (Good Hair Day). Whether it’s a straighter, curler or hairdryer, Holly loves this brand for their quality materials, ease of use and advanced technology that reduces hair damage and provides a professional, salon-quality finish every time. Their Curve Wands are ideal for creating sultry, glamorous curls that last longer and withstand the elements from ceremony, all the way to reception!
- Joico – Ironclad Thermal Protectant Spray Achieving perfect wedding hair can involve a great number of styling tools and it’s essential to protect healthy locks with a good quality barrier spray. Exposure to thermal styling tools can dry and damage the hair which can ruin even the most elegant of wedding updos. Holly suggests using Ironclad for its ability to create a protective barrier between heat and hair whilst fighting frizz and static for up to 72 hours!
- Kerastase – Elixir Ultime For beautiful, flowing tresses on your wedding day, brides can’t go past Elixir Ultime Beautifying Oil for its intense nourishment and ability to leave hair with a shiny, soft and supple finish. This oil is a favourite of Holly’s as it’s hydrophobic properties protect hair from dryness and seal nutrition inside. This product is perfect for brides to use in the lead up to their big day to repair damaged hair and provide stylists with a healthy, manageable mane to work their magic on!
- Schwarzkopf – Silhouette Super Hold Lacquer Even the most well-behaved locks require a quality hairspray to withstand the elements that a wedding celebration entails. For all of the effort that goes into producing the perfect bridal look, Holly recommends finishing the hair with Silhouette Superhold Lacquer for its long-lasting hold and shine. The special film-forming polymer provides amazing hold and vitality which grips the hair and allows updos to look beautiful all day and night. This product is great for buns, knots and braided bridal hairstyles as it holds the hair firmly in place and maintains the style without hardening the hair.
We would like to give special thanks to Jemma Keech Photography for the stunning photos of Ella & Johnny’s special day. Holly was involved in styling the hair for the bridal party and worked alongside a talented team of Great Southern wedding vendors.
Photography Jemma Keech Photography // Hair Holly Watterson Hair Artistry // Location & Accommodation Tree Elle Retreat // Décor & Hire Hire In Style // Wedding Cake The Sweet Piece // Gown Samantha Wynne // Makeup Artist Barbara Cavalli Makeup Artistry // Marquee Albany Event Hire // Styling Eclectic Events // Florist Lush Floral Designs